•General Convention convenes June 25 through July 3, 2015 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

•Click on the #GC78 Curated link above, to find images, posts and videos from deputies around the church.
•Are you on Twitter? Feed in the right hand column. Add #GC78 to your tweets.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Of The Weariness of Deputies


Of The Weariness of Deputies

Let me confess that I have not had much time or energy to get to my laptop and blog.  I regret that.  Our days are very, very long – generally starting with committee hearings at 7:30 a.m. and going through hearings ending about 9:30 p.m.  I had heard about the schedule, and I thought I was prepared.  But day after day of 14 hour days is grueling.  I had hoped to blog more, and I regret that I have not been able to do so. 

I think many of our Deputies are feeling the same conflict: wanting to blog, but finding themselves exhausted at the end of the day.

Please be kind and hold us in your prayers.  We are doing as well as we can on too little sleep, too few meals, and too much legislative action.

Strangely, it seems that Beth Felice and ENS are probably doing a better job than we can do in keeping you informed of the actions of General Convention.  You folks at home have access to real-time updates.  Because of the limits of our electronic access, you often get news more quickly than we Deputies get them. 

Therefore – as for me – I am not going to try to give you news and updates about the actions of the House of Deputies.  I expect you can get that information elsewhere.  I’m going to blog about my experience here. 

2 comments:

  1. Even in our weariness, there are moments of grace. Last night was one of them when Deputy Cornelia Eaton, a House of Deputies Chaplain, who sits next to us offered this prayer at the end of yesterday's session.

    77th General Convention
    Evening Prayer
    6:25 p.m.

    It is by prayer, we walk in the balance. Let us pray.

    We give thanks, Holy Spirit for the opportunity to continue to grow and be blessed by the work in which we are called to do. We give thanks for your unfailing love and guidance as you live in our looking and in our listening, as you live in our minds and our hearts. It is in everything about us that we come alive with the sacredness that dwells within. At this time, in this moment of your presence, we seek your blessings as we rest our minds, our hearts, our looking, our listening as we settle into the wonder and beauty and the mystery of the sunset. As the sun sets let us remember it is a time of rest, a time of being in the Oneness of the Twilight.


    May you be the hymnals of deep-rooted past
    In the night where star chants wisdom
    May the songs whirl in minds sleep
    May the flickering fires drum and
    Glow Divine
    And in the Sunrise
    May God’s infinite love embrace you with welcoming arms
    As my child, my little one, it is everything about you that I am pleased.
    Amen.

    2012 Cornelia Eaton
    Revised for GC

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that the really GC obsessed among us can follow twitter and live feed etc. But little moments like this prayer Dan posted and Lisa's description of weeping during the big eucharist and knowing that our Bp's hymn was sung by all those people, are priceless. And I hope you all know that you are in our prayers. Enjoy the cooler days.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog