The 79th General Convention of the Episcopal Church convenes in Austin Texas, July 5th - 13th, 2018

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Passing Reflections

Two of the things I love best about General Convention are seeing dear friends whom I don't often get to see and meeting fellow Episcopalians whom I have previously only "met" in cyberspace. Here are a couple of minor reflections.

On my first morning here in Austin, I made my way downstairs to partake of what we jokingly call the "8th sacrament": coffee at  Starbucks in our hotel lobby. As I approached, I noticed a crowd surrounding someone. At first, I thought it must be some rock star or other celebrity. Well, I suppose it was a celebrity, albeit of the liturgical variety. It was our Presiding Bishop Curry, surrounded by several people. As I passed by, I heard them expressing their thanks and respect. He seemed to be his usual gracious and ebullient self.

Within my first 24 hours here, I had received more hugs than I usually receive in a week, as I encountered friends I so seldom see. Some of you have heard me refer to General Convention as our Big Fat Episcopal Family Reunion. It truly feels like that.

– Lisa Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog