The 79th General Convention of the Episcopal Church convenes in Austin Texas, July 5th - 13th, 2018

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Prayer Book Revision?

Friday afternoon, the House of Deputies began considering Resolution A068, "Plan for the
Revision of the Book of Common Prayer." I recognize that the very idea may create anxiety in
some of my fellow Episcopalians. It creates some anxiety in me, too.

The discussion in the House of Deputies was thoughtful, calm even when passionate, diverse, and wide ranging. I learned a lot during the 90 minutes we spent discussing this important resolution to launch into a revision of our beloved BCP. We will pick up debate Saturday and probably vote on Saturday, too.


My heart, mind, and spirit are troubled. I love our current BCP. I also recognize some language and assumptions (about God and humankind)  cry out for the voices of theologians, liturgists, scholars, and poets to amend portions of our Prayer Book in a way that speaks a bit more clearly to those of us living in the 21st century.

I have no idea how I will vote on this resolution when the vote is called on Saturday. I ask for your prayers, that the Holy Spirit will descend on us as it did on the apostles so long ago and lead us to a wise course of action.

The text of resolution A068, which we will be considering tomorrow is here.

You can see almost everything we see and do by opening the GC Virtual Binder.

– Lisa Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog