The 79th General Convention of the Episcopal Church convenes in Austin Texas, July 5th - 13th, 2018

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Reflections, July 11

The Deputies of GC79 are now in our 7th day of business; two more marathon days of Legislative sessions remain.  A trickle of Resolutions hit the floor on 5July, by 8July the Consent calendar "was our friend", and it was just announced that a 2-hour reserve session this evening has been triggered.  18 hours of Legislative work remains upon conclusion of the 5:30 worship service!
This is my first General Convention - and for 4 of us in our group it's our first time being a Deputy.  I think I have it figured out now - until something new comes up, of course.  I've attended multiple Legislative Committee Hearings and Meetings - even testified at one. I'm a sponge, and I love it.  Business - prayerfully done.  The young clergy are strong, and the spirit of the Deputies who identify as female is a force of joy to witness!  This morning the Holy Spirit was palpable when the Diocese of Cuba was once again (after 50+ years) joined with The Episcopal Church.  So many moments of 'oh wow (wonder)', 'oh my (tears)', and 'Amen (applause)' have been experienced in Austin with my sisters and brothers in Christ.  
There will be so much to share with the Diocese once we return home!!

- Betty Bowersox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog